Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

We have a common wall in a townhouse with a neighbor. it is

Customer Question

We have a common wall in a townhouse with a neighbor. it is in the basement. we noticed water damage in the wall on our end. This is in an area that we have no piping or water lines. Out neighbor when asked claims there is no water issue on his end and refuses to let us come in to look. We are fairly sure this is not the truth. What is out legal recourse?
I should add that we have already contacted our home owners insurance company and filed a claim. They recommended we look into legal action. I am unsure how to proceed.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
IF your neighbor refuses to allow you to inspect the property and assess the damages or condition of the other side of the shared wall, the only real option you have is to file a petition with the court and ask the judge for an order allowing you/your contractor to access the property to inspect the wall and assess the damages. This would likely be filed as a request for an injunction or a temporary restraining order.