Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

In a 55+ community we own the homes and lease the land. Now

Customer Question

In a 55+ community we own the homes and lease the land. Now they want everyone to pay through their " pay lease site" only or pay a 5% fee for check, cash, card extra. Most people do not have a computer or are not knowledgeable. Can they charge an extreme "rent increase" like this? This site was not recommended by Chase bank
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This fee on top of a rent increase exceeds annual increase in rent limits in AZ. They will have full access to tenant accounts and when they take the variable rental amount they deem owed. This does not work on a fixed income.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

No, they cannot. You cannot be required to pay for your lease only one way or be penalized. This will be an illegal rent increase. You should file complaint with your Attorney General's office.

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.