J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.

I had a package shipped to my address. I live at an

Customer Question

I had a package shipped to my address.
I live at an apartment complex. The package was specifically addressed to my address, but has my partners name on it.
The apartment complex sent the package back claiming they won't receive packages for people not on the lease.
This will cost me shipping fees and a delay in receiving my order.
Can they do this? Do I have any recourse?
I live in downtown Seattle, WA
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, the complex is not legally obligated to take a delivery addressed to a person not on a lease. However as a matter of fairness and common curtesy this was not an appropriate thing to do. In matters like this often small claims can be an avenue to seek recourse which in this case would be additional shipping costs and damage caused by the delay. While no law says the apartment can't do what they did, small claims is a forum in which fairness comes into a decision by the trier of fact (the judge).

Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (3 stars or more). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).