Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

Is it theft if I use a sod cutter to cut out grass on an

Customer Question

Is it theft if I use a sod cutter to cut out grass on an abandoned lot for personal cultivation and seed development. Would I be within my rights for claiming abandoned property? The lot is over-run with this type of grass and is off a road, the access to which was washed away many years ago.
This grass appears to be a particular dwarf variety of a native festuca rubra, which is attractive and I speculate has other desirable properties - it is unavailable any other way.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.

Unlike personal property, typically real estate cannot be abandoned since it is owned by and through written title. Before you can avoid a trespass charge or theft type charge, you would first have to either gain the permission of the titled owner or obtain ownership of the property yourself outside of what is stated on the title. This is done by meeting the CA requirements of adverse possession.

In California, adverse possession requires five years of continued use which is "open and notorious" and "adverse" to the owner's interest. Your maintenance and upkeep of the property is required for the five years of use and the property taxes must be paid for by you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK,I wasn't asking about the property - I was asking about the grass on the property. Are you saying that the grass on the property is part of the property and can't be used?
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.

While real property does not include standing timber, growing crops, or grass, since these are located on the land which you do not own you could face a theft or trespass charge if you do not have the owner's permission.