Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

2 years ago we sold restaurant in CA and moved to VA. Buyer

Customer Question

2 years ago we sold restaurant in CA and moved to VA. Buyer tenant had 2 months to inspect and test HVAC but did not inspect. We repaired the HVAC and left in good working condition before the sale of restaurant. Landlord owns the HVAC and the building. Today the buyer called and asked us to pay 1/3 of HVAC replacement cost. HVAC is not included in the sales contract between the buyer and us. Do we still owe responsibility to the buyer?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Do we still owe responsibility to the buyer?

.

Not at all. If you sold the business and gave the buyer the opportunity to inspect and they didn't, then they voluntarily assumed the risk of any problems as long as you didn't give them any type of written warranty for the HVAC.

.

Any problems now are between the landlord and the owner and don't include you.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks