Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I have an issue with my parents and they live in a rent

Customer Question

I have an issue with my parents and they live in a rent controlled apartment in Brooklyn, NY in a rent controlled apartment building. They have lived in this apartment building for about 45 years. The landlord would love for them to leave so she keeps offering them money and they keep telling her no. She is continuously harassing them about this to the point that my parents are becoming agitated by it. So she wanted to upgrade their apartment which they went along with but she had to put it in writing that they would get their apartment back. Nonetheless she tells them that she plans on renting out the apartment and they told her she could not do that because they have a written agreement that the apartment will be theirs and if they decided not to go back then she could do whatever. Now today put the icing on the cake. The landlord wants to take the kitchen from the temporary apartment and put it in their renovated apartment. So she will literally put them at a disadvantage because is she does that how will they be able to cook and wash dishes. Is this remotely legal? Is there anything they can file against their landlord for harassment?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Ok thanks so much.