Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

House we been renting went up some one brought it and I need

Customer Question

House we been renting went up for forcloser some one brought it and I need to know Whatya rights are. How long do I have? I was told they don't have to give me anytime
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

While the foreclosure unfortunately does terminate your lease, Florida law provides that the new owner must give you 30 days written notice before they can require you to vacate the premises. Fl. Stat., Section 83.561. This law was passed last year, and became effective on July 1, 2015. The statute outlines the form of the notice they have to give, which should also tell you where to pay rent for those 30 days. Note that this statute doesn't apply if you're paying significantly less than fair market value. If the new owner tries to force you out by changing the locks, shutting off utilities, removing doors, or any other means OTHER than giving you 30 days notice (and going to court, if necessary), you can sue for three times the rent plus your attorney's fees for an illegal eviction. Fl. Stat., Section 83.67.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.