Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

My 4 year old home recently had moisture intrusion wthin the

Customer Question

My 4 year old home recently had moisture intrusion wthin the front envelope of the house between the stonework and interior walls. The builder is replacing the stonework in the front of the house and any related interior dry wall and insulation if deemed necessary when they open it up even though we had only a one year "Fit and Finish" warranty (in addition to 10 year structural warranty). The new agreement they are asking me to sign provides for two years of "fit and finish" warranty for the new work beng performed on the front of the house to correct the issue. Is it unusual to counter for a three year warranty given that the seal issues which caused the moisture intrusion generally surfaced in year three for ourselves and a few other homewners?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no - not really - that's it in a nutshell - I would like a three year warranty versus the two year warranty they are offering on the repairs for peace of mind
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for requesting me.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
It is not necessarily unusual as the builder is appearantly accomodating you for warranty work that seems to have expired. It is a negotiation and you should feel free to counter.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
If three yrs is imortant to you then you should demand to get 3 yrs.