RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

My daughter resided in an apartment in south Texas going to

Customer Question

My daughter resided in an apartment in south Texas going to college. She was evicted for being arrested for public intoxication on the premises, which violated a lease agreement. She lived there from 8/8/2014 and signed a one year agreement. Then instead of month to month they required her to sign another year agreement. She has moved out and it has only been 7 days. Now they have invoiced her for $493 reletting fee, 45 non-cleaned bathroom, 10 blinds broken, 206 final water bill through 7/31/2016 and April through July rent of 2,320. What are her rights and I did consign, can they hit my credit?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 6 months ago.
Do you know what the lease says if there is a breach and damages which they can seek? Also when does the lease end
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
7/31/2016 is lease end and all I signed was a guarantor agreement that did not have any specifics on it. Just says the obligations of the lease contract.
If the money is not paid and owed, they could sue you and go after you to collect since you did sign as a guarantor. Now, they do need to mitigate damages and if they are charging a fee to re rent the property and a tenant moves in and it does not remain vacant then there could be a defense to raise to the amount they seek through July. They can not essentially double dip and take her rent through July and find someone to move in and charge them the rent as well, essentially collecting two rents for one unit. They can sue for damages suffered and repairs that need to be made but can not charge excessive fees

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!