CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

Does At&T have the right to run a cable through my front and

Customer Question

Does At&T have the right to run a cable through my front and back yard to reach the house behind me? My understanding is that the easement for utilities/municipalities (if they are one) is in the front of my front yard in Novi, MI.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 6 months ago.

Dear Customer,

It depends on what the utility easement for your property actually is.

(This is the easement specific to your property, not a "general rule" or "usually applies" type of question - you will want to get the actual deed restrictions for your property, if you do not have a complete title report for your property, you can order one from a title company for a small fee, national title companies include: Old Republic, Chicago Title, and First American, but there are also smaller, local companies that can provide you with this service as well).

It is also possible to go and do this yourself at the County Recorder's Office, but unless you have experience in looking through title records, you are likely to overlook or altogether miss a critical document, potentially rendering your efforts worthless.