Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I am in Alabama. I bought land that has two billboard signs

Customer Question

Hello, I am in Alabama. I bought land that has two billboard signs on it on a main road. We had our real estate agent call the sign company twice to see if there was a contract on the signs. It was our understanding that the signs were on a year to year basis and we could renew the lease or not. There was no lease recorded at the court house and the owner never told us of a lease and really signed that there were no encumbrances. After we bought the land we told the sign company that we didn't want to renew the lease and would like for the signs to be removed. They then revealed a lease that was signed by the previous owner and that has options for 25 years. We have told them that it is not binding on us and demanded they remove the signs and they must remove the signs. THey will not. We have contacted 5 attorneys and have not had success getting them to follow up with us. I assume we will have to sue the sign company, but are not able to find a local attorney to help. I assume there isn't enough money in it for them? Anyway, what is an avenue that I can take to get these signs removed?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Did you obtain an owner's policy when you closed? Did the seller provide at closing an affidavit of title representing there were no unrecorded tenancies or other encumbrances?