Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My father died in 2000. He left the property (house, assets,

Customer Question

My father died in 2000. He left the property (house, assets, etc) to 5 surviving children and his wife - not my mother (deceased 1989). I am trying to get house insurance and have asked my brothers and sister to convey their rights to me so that this can be done. My father's wife does not want to do this. We, I, do not want to have the house uninsured and we can something to protect the home. My intent - i have explained this - is that we all die the house will be under one survivor who will then sell, or rent with all proceeds being split or allow some family member to live there and maintain it. What do you recommend? Should I just wait for all of us to die and have whatever happens happen?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry for your loss. Please tell me at this point:

-are the five surviving children's names (including yours) and that of his spouse on the property's title now?

-has probate been filed for this estate?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!