Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

What can a renter do when Landlord will not fix furnace in

Customer Question

What can a renter do when Landlord will not fix furnace in house that is occupied by a family with 2 small children
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

In Iowa, a tenant can either take the landlord to small claims court and ask a court to order the landlord to make the repairs OR the tenant can withhold rent and use the withheld money to make the repairs to the property. Here's a good link you can read: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/iowa-tenant-rights-withhold-rent-repair-deduct.html

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Before withholding rent, the tenant must give the landlord a written notice and demand the repairs and tell the landlord that if the repairs aren't made that you'll withhold rent.