Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Can a. Condominium association charge a. Unit owner for

Customer Question

Can a. Condominium association charge a. Unit owner for smoke detection repair work outside their unit. Electrical wires were crossed by unknown people in the electrical room which unit owner has no access to. The unit owner was not notified that this was taking place and two and a half months later received a bill for 2900.00. No other units were checked at this time. This took place in January and yearly inspections are in March.The wires were crossed with another unit so detection was not correct. Also, it w as found out that unit owner's condominium which was just bought was never in 30 years connected to the main system. Is this possible when fire safety system is checked yearly?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to Answer your question. The only thing I ask of you is that you leave a positive rating which does not cost you anything additional because this is the only way that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you today, Fair enough ?

But, first I need a bit more information if you do not mind.

1. Is the smoke detection unit itself located in a "common area" and services multiple condo units, or does it strictly service only that particular unit ?

2. Who determined that these repairs were necessary ?

3. Was the owner of the condominium unit notified that this repair work would be done ?

Thank you,

ANDREA