LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.

I own a rental home in the Dearborn lls neighborhood with my

Customer Question

I own a rental home in the Dearborn Hills neighborhood with my partner. My partner is also an active real estate agent but we are not listing the home. Our tenant is on a month to month rental agreement at this time and wishes to purchase it. Is my partner required to take a commission even though we are not even listing it? Thank You, Ken
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon Ken,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If your partner is representing the two of you in the sale of the property to the tenant, your partner legally may take a commission (if they are a Broker or through their broker). However, there is certainly no law mandating that your partner take a commission on the sale.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good morning Linda,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,