LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

I live in NJ, I am on a month to month lease I gave my

Customer Question

I live in NJ, I am on a month to month lease I gave my landlord 30 days notice that i was moving out (gave notice to leave March 3rd to leave April 3rd, he told me I had to be out by Mar 31st). He wanted 6 weeks and is now asking for the extra two weeks rent.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Leanne,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Actually, under NJ law, you are free to give your landlord just one month advanced notice of your intent to terminate your tenancy and the landlord must accept that notice.

You did give a valid one month's notice and you are allowed to stay through the 3rd of April so long as you pay the pro-rate rent owed for those final 3 days.

He may have wanted 6 weeks of notice but NJ law gives you the right to give just one month. He also is not entitled to 2 weeks of extra rent. He is only entitled to rent through April 3, 2016.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Leanne,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Hi Leanne,

Is there anything more that I can help you with?

Doug