RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

My 24 year old daughter recently bought her first home. Less

Customer Question

My 24 year old daughter recently bought her first home. Less than 30 days after closing the roof began leaking. Not a minor drip but gallons of water. Initially she blamed the home inspector. However, after some investigation it appears that between the inspection and closing work was done on the roof. (Pictures). The seller completed a seller's disclosure but stated minor repairs. This was not minor. Is there any recourse against the seller?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 8 months ago.
Good morning. Just to be clear they did say they had to work on the roof and did work after the inspection and prior to closing? Do you know if the inspector found anything wrong with the roof?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The roof is on an additional to the original house and is only 4 years old. It is a flat roof. The inspector's report suggested a sealant and regular maintenance. The pictures he took are very different then the pictures now. Something happened between the inspection and closing and the seller worked on the roof. What he actually did is unknown. The seller's disclosure says minor repairs were done.
Thank you. Until the closing and title passed to your daughter , the seller would be responsible
For the roof and all necessary repairs. If work was done on the roof and it appears that there are major issues now, then they would be liable if it can be shown that this was a direct result of their actions. Clearly, minor work would not cause such major leaked so she may want to get a roofer to come out and assess the situation to determine exactly what happened and what it was a result of. Then, she can go after them if it can be shown they did not make the necessary repairs
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any additional questions or concerns.