RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

We were renting a house here in Key Largo, Florida. A person

Customer Question

Good MOrning. We were renting a house here in Key Largo, Florida. A person my husband had met did not have a place to live and needed a place until he found a house. THis was in February. Our lease is up at the end of this month. He knew everyone had to be out before then. We just moved to another home across the street but he refuses to leave now. We have told him many times it was time to go and he knew that from the start. He refuses to leave. What can we do.
Thanks.
Teresa Ross
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 8 months ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. At this point, you need to give him at least a 15 day notice to vacate and if he fails to do so, proceed with the eviction action / ejectmenr through the court. I know your husband was just helping him out but if he refuses to leave the obligation to remove him would fall on you or else the landlord can consider you holding over and charge rent and go after you for the costs and damages related to removing this man. You can not simply vacate and leave him there and it would fall you you both to get him out to turn back possession to the landlord.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any additional questions or concerns?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can we move his stuff out in the yard
I'm sorry but you can not. The reason for it is that it would be a form of self help and is illegal and he could sue you. It would be at your discretion to do that and to see how he responds and if he just takes it and leaves but be aware it is not a legal way to get him out
Is there anything else?