WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

In Queensland, if the tenant wishes to extend the existing

Customer Question

In Queensland, if the tenant wishes to extend the existing 12 month lease and there has been no rent increase in the past, how much can the Lessor increase the exiting rent by.
the current rent is $450.00 per week at a beach front apartment.
the current rent has not been increased in five years and current rents are typically $550.00.
Appreciate your advise as I cant find anywhere that states the % increase amount allowed at the time of re negotiation.
regards
Bruce
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

Here are the rules on rent increases in Queensland:

https://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Renting/During-a-tenancy/Rent-and-other-payments/Rent-increases-or-decreases

Since you are doing this increase at the end of the tenancy, there is no limit on the amount of increase that you can charge. Of course, the tenant has the right not to accept the increase and to move out or to negotiate with you, but assuming the tenant is willing to pay it, under Queensland law, there is no rent control and no limitation on the amount of increase in the rent that is allowed.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
five out of five thanks
pays to know
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

Please rate 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

Now, please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 out of 5
pays to know
thanks
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

Please rate the answer and accept the answer It is not showing that you have accepted

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 1 year ago.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. good luck to you. I wish you all the best