WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I own a 28,000 sq ft grocery store and forgot to exercise

Customer Question

I own a 28,000 sq ft grocery store and forgot to exercise option to renew. Its been well over a year or two now that the landlord has been dodging direct contact with me and has been promising and even drafting new leases to me but will not make the final signature. I dont know what his motives are but word has it he is trying to sell the land and our store with it to another investor who also owns a grocery chain. He has been acceting my rent payments for the last two years and cam and also starting last month has accepted a rent increase price stated in new drafted lease that he still wont finish off. What are my rights and what should i do to protect myself ?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 8 months ago.

Under California law, you have an automatic renewal for the inital term of the lease as long as he continues to accept rent payments from you. Once the renewal term is up, then you become a month to month tenant, with the landllord having the right to terminate the lease upon 30 days notice.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Now, please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Please rate the answer 4 or 5 and close out the question now