Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

In florida, how does one have to be married to qualify

Customer Question

in florida, how long does one have to be married to qualify for life estate in marital home?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
A life estate is a type of ownership interest and not something that can be acquired.
But, if one spouse owned a property prior to marriage and then the couple lived in the house as their marital residence, then the other spouse could acquire an equitable ownership interest in the property.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.
If the couple lived in the house any period of time, there would be an equitable claim of interest in the house.....and the longer he marriage, the more equitable interest the spouse would have.