Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in RE Law, including LL/Tenant, contractor disputes, comm'l prop. issues
20355756

Are you sure? My parents had a rental property, and had

Customer Question

Are you sure? My parents had a rental property, and had tenants that failed to pay rent. My parents took them to court and couldn't get them out for almost 2 years. Because once they had seeds in the ground, they had to wait for harvest.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 months ago.

Hello again --

-

Perhaps your parents rental agreement or lease provided for that. I actually researched this also to see if I could find anything to assist you and what you might be referring to is a lease they had with the landlord or a property that was actually supposed to be used for farming -- laws change all the time and there were laws for farmers leasing land that they could get the benefit of their crops (during the depression era through the 1960's there were instances of large crops being taken because LLs evicted farmer) but those laws have changed drastically over the years and it comes down to larger farmers who enter into such agreements with the property owners now.

-

MARY

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, They were not farmers, And this happened 20 years or so ago.And that wasn't in the rental agreement.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's okay never mind. . . Thank You for your help, although it didn't

Hello again --

-

I know the laws that you are talking about because they were passed in heavily farming states because there were shameful numbers of incidences of farmers losing crops because they were ready to be harvested and the landlord simply came along and evicted the tenant and helped himself to the crops. THose laws never applied to a small renter with a personal garden and I can only think that perhaps your parents got a sympathetic judge in a time when all of this was changing towards more formalized agreements and factory farming.

-

MARY