Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez, Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Member at Perez-Mena & Gonzalez, LLC

Purchased a home that, according to the property disclosure

Customer Question

purchased a home that, according to the property disclosure statement, Has NO association, covenants, or restrictions that may affect the use or future resale. After moving in and parking a enclosed trailer in my driveway, I received a large packet in the mail from the Association with a list of things that I can not do on my property. I find myself now paying money to store things off site and may not be able to do the outside things that we envisioned when making a offer on the house. We feel that we were lied to. Do i have any options?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This sounds like you are part of an HOA. If there truly was no disclosure and you had no idea there was an HOA, then you may have a remedy versus the title company that closed the transaction. This is only true if the original contract, your title insurance commitment and policy, and the disclosure documents at closing is totally devoid of any mention of HOA. I tend to doubt that there is not mention of the existence of the HOA in any of these documents along the process.