Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

If I am in a lease and find out that the home is not up to

Customer Question

If I am in a lease and find out that the home is not up to code ie: black mold and unpermitted additions to the home. What are my rights in Florida?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi Sheri. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You have a couple of options. With every rental comes the implied warranty of habitability, which includes the tenant's right to the safe, healthy, peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the rented premises. Where you have a situation with mold which directly puts your health in peril, a tenant would clearly not be afforded such enjoyment of the premises....and therefore the landlord would be in breach of the implied warranty of habitability. This puts the landlord in default. This gives you the right to terminate the lease and sue for damages, including the cost of moving plus include reimbursement of a portion of all prior rent to date to compensate for the reduced value of the rental property due to the reduced benefit of your rental bargain due to the inhabitability. Furthermore, although you have the right to terminate the lease due to the breach, you are not required to do so. Rather, you can file a claim against the landlord for damages due to this breach. Damages would include reimbursement of a portion of all prior rent to date to compensate for the reduced value of the rental property due to the problems, and to either reduce the rent going forward or pay you for temporary living expenses, at your option, until the problem is fully remediated.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The county was out to inspect the home and the landlord asked me to lie and say I was staying in the home and helping her mother at a discounted rate. None of which is true. I did go along with the plan as I was afraid she would terminate my lease. Now a month has gone by and she refused to extend my lease. I don't know what to do.
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

You certainly don't want to stay there as your health is in peril with black mold. I would first call the county and explain the situation. Then, I would move to another place and then sue the landlord for your costs of moving and to recover past rent due to the fact that you were not afforded the full benefit of your rental bargain.