Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My daughter has a lease termination question in North

Customer Question

My daughter has a lease termination question in North Dakota.
She occupies an apartment with a roommate (with whom she doesn't get along). The lease expires March 31, 2016. My daughter gave notice January 3, 2016. There is a 60 day notice period. Her roommate also gave notice. When my daughter talked to the landlord to return her keys, they told her that the lease was going month-to-month and that she was still responsible for the lease if her roommate didn't move out as well. Both of their signatures are on the lease.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

They are entirely wrong here... If daughter property gave them notice that she was terminating the lease and not renewing, then her legal obligation ends on March 31, 2016 as does the tenancy. If the other roommate decides to stay on, then if the landlord allows it, they would be legally entering into a month to month tenancy with just that roommate since daughter and the roommate have both terminated the existing tenancy effective March 31.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks