Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

A notice of Default has been recorded (12/23/15) on the home

Customer Question

A notice of Default has been recorded (12/23/15) on the home my family is currently renting. We signed a 12 mos lease August 2015. Our landlord has not contacted us, what are our rights? We have roughly 3-4 thousand dollars held as a security deposit.
We live in Nevada Co. CA
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Your lease is still intact. Until the change of ownership, you would continue to pay your rent to the current owner, your current Landlord. Your Security Deposit is still with your Landlord. If you do not pay your rent, your Landlord can send you a three-day notice to pay or vacate and would by law keep your deposit to make up for the back rent, but must give you a notice of his/her intention to retain the deposit within 21 days of you vacating the property in order to keep the deposit. For more information, click on the links below:

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.