Michael Lykken, Esq
Michael Lykken, Esq,
Experience:  Partner at Soares & Lykken, Attorneys at Law

Water runoff from broken water main pipe at the street

Customer Question

Water runoff from broken water main pipe at the street (water companies pipe) runs right across our driveway down into our yard now kowen as the swamp, for 6 years now its been going on , they are aware of the problem , and so far don't care the slime going across my driveway is gonna hurt someone someday, very slippery, and the bugs.can't take it any longer I need to recover some damages. I don't have any money right I was hoping to find out if I had a case for negligence , wasting our water for past 6 yrs. Can anybody help.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this service. I am a licensed California attorney, and will be happy to help you with this. Please understand that I can only provide you with general advice in this forum. Given this, I am not sure which state you live in as it is not indicated in your question. You state that your yard is known as the swamp, so has the broken main deprived you of use of your property? An attorney will only take this case if there is some measure of damages, and that could be one grounds for a suit. You could contact the news, as this could be a newsworthy story. Perhaps that would get your problem resolved. You could also consider contacting your local health department about this. Perhaps you could have the county determine that this is a nuisance. I wouldn't say that this is a negligence case per se. It could be, but I think you have other causes of action you could assert such as creation of a nuisance, damage to property, failure to prevent a nuisance. So, I would look for a local attorney that could help you with this. Most do not charge for an initial consultation, and they could let you know the strength of your case. I hope this helps, and let me know if you need clarification. If you are pleased with my service, please rate my service as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you. Thank you!

Hello, do you need any further clarification? If not, I hope you are happy with my service. If so, I would appreciate it if you would rate me. The only way I can receive credit for helping you is if you rate me, so doing so would be very helpful. Thank you!