Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I am a property owner in Ohio. I have an easement with the

Customer Question

Hi !
I am a property owner in Ohio. I have an easement with the power company who is being forced to allow a cable company to attach to their poles. I have been verbally threaten by the cable company that they will call the Sheriff if I refuse to grant them unlimited access across my property to place their assets. I read the easement first as Utility to Utility. Second that even if a cable company qualifies as a Utility they have a right to the 15' ft easement not that they can have free access to my property. Do I have any legal standing? I have livestock and honestly still have damage from the last crews that came thru they never come back and fix the damage.
Thanks!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If there is a utility easement on the property, the power company can assign that utility easement and you have to still honor it. You would have to allow them access, BUT if they cause any damage to the easement or your property, they are liable to pay to repair the damage. They cannot just come onto the property via the easement rights and cause damage and walk away without paying for the damages they caused.
So while you have to allow them onto the easement, if they do any damage, you can hold them accountable and make them pay for it.