Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I bought a home in a mobile home park, in minn, and they

Customer Question

I bought a home in a mobile home park , in minn, and they said my min pins were fine, did not have to pay the extra since my dogs dont go outside. Now new mgmt says I need to pay for the dogs even if they dont go outside, althou the lease says you pay or they dont go out, mine dont go out, since we moved in 6 mos, I have been written up twice now for someone parking on the street, just touching my grass, yes there was snow on the ground, my truck bumper hanging over the drive way about 6 inches so the snow plow does not hit the front end of my truck. I am disabled in a wheelchair, I feel I am being harrassed by mgmt and maintience man, I dont even sit on my deck for fear of getting written up, I also got written up for the grill cover on the deck, not the grill just the cover. Other then move which is not an option, what can I do I am on a fixed income. I have 774 a mo comming in and rent in 581 plus 13 for trash now they want another 8.00 a mo for my dogs
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, if your contract of lease says you do not have to pay, they cannot make you pay and change the terms of the lease UNLESS the lease itself says that management may change the terms with notice to you. Also, if you are disabled, you can consider getting your doctor to write a letter explaining your dogs are service animals for emotional or physical support and in that case they would no longer be pets and the management would be prohibited by the service dog laws, the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act from charging you more for the dogs. Management would also then be prohibited from retaliating against you over this matter and if they did you could sue management for retaliation and discrimination under the ADA and FHA.
IF they persist, you need to contact your local housing authority office (HUD) and also local legal aid office to get legal representation to file suit against management.