TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

At the apartment where I am currently living all of the

Customer Question

At the apartment where I am currently living all of the tenants deposit their monthly rent into a manager box next to our mail boxes. This past month the box was broken into and the rent stolen. Now my landlord is demanding I pay my rent again or she will give me an eviction notice because I do not have the receipt for the money orders I purchased for the rent. Can she really evict me because I refuse to pay my rent again? There is no rental office to drop off our rent and my rent is not the only one that was stolen.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

From a legal perspective, if you put the rent in the box authorized by the landlord, then you paid your rent. Accordingly, the only question is whether you actually put the money in the box. If your landlord were to try to evict you for failure to pay rent, then you would explain to the judge that you paid the rent with money orders and that the box was broken into (I would have other tenants testify as to that fact, and obtain a copy of the police report). The best that the landlord can do is say to the judge that you shouldn't be believed since you don't have receipts. Well, unless the landlord has other evidence indicating that you didn't actually pay the rent, or unless you come across as lying in court for some reason, then the judge would have to rule against the landlord for failing to provide contradictory evidence indicating that you failed to pay rent.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!