Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I have a property in Belize. I want to remove the manager,

Customer Question

I have a property in Belize. I want to remove the manager, who happens to reside on property. I am not asking him to vacate. I have written a notice of termination of agency and management.
I have been told it must be legal in the state of my legal residency and notarized in that state.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. He can be termed - in South Carolina at least - a tenant at sufferance. A tenant at sufferance is one that stays on the property at the discretion of the landlord. This would involve someone who is there while working on the property.

The tenant at sufferance has to be given notice, but how much notice is not very clear. It is a good idea to give them a 30 days notice to leave the property (afterwards, they can be evicted if they do not leave).

So one may wish to state the following in the letter: (1) tell them that their services are no longer required and (2) give them 30 days notice. Let me know if you need an example.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My legal residency is in North Carolina. Does everything need to be notarized there as I am out of state until Thursday. I have not asked him to leave. His rent was $1000BZ and a $200BZ dock rental for his boat. He paid $600BZ on the books as I paid him $600BZ for managing. The management I want terminated as of April 1.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

If Belizean law states that the notice should be notarized in NC, then it should be notarized in NC. You yourself stated: "I have been told it must be legal in the state of my legal residency and notarized in that state." I am going off this assumption being true. If so, then one would want to notarize in NC.

Otherwise, my answer stands as is, of course.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you send an example.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Sure. Note that this is for educational purposes only and should not be used verbatim.
Dear _____,
At this point, your services are no longer required in regards to (job position). From your receipt of this certified letter, your position has been voided and you are no longer employed/contracted by ____. Your final paycheck will be deposited/sent by (date).
Note that you are hereby given notice of thirty (30) days from time of your receipt of this letter to relocate off the property. Failure to do so will result in legal proceedings.
Sincerely,
Signature
Name
Notary Stamp

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This hasn't really given me any more information than what I already had.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Well, what else can I answer for you? For example, did you want the notice in Spanish? Do you want me to cite Belize laws as to tenancy eviction, etc?