Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

Can I cancel a real estate agreement on a house I want to

Customer Question

can I cancel a real estate agreement on a house I want to sell,its been on the market
for five month and had the
price to high.I Lowered the the price and still did no
hits'. The sales agreement was dated August 18 2015 for one year I feel I passed up the
good months in 2015 and do not want to loose the first good months 2016
Daniel Lober(###) ###-####
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If you have a signed listing agreement, then it is a legally binding contract that either party can enforce and is not able to be modified unilaterally. So if you wanted to change it or cancel it, the realtor would have to agree. With that said, if you talk to the realtor's broker and explain how you are dissatisfied with the agent's service and want to cancel the listing, generally they will agree to cancel it. They don't want an angry client because they are essentially wasting their time if you don't want to sell or cant' sell for cheap enough to get a buyer.

.

If they did agree to terminate, they would likely have a protection period in the contract that would prevent you from selling to anyone the realtor had showed it to for a certain period of time, normally 90-180 days, or you would have to pay their commission.

.

So generally a broker will agree to release a client, but is not legally obligated to do so.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a licensed Realtor for over 12 years...

.

.

thanks