Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate

I live in NY and am selling a house in WV that I own. Not

Customer Question

I live in NY and am selling a house in WV that I own. Not used to not having a lawyer for myself, and the real estate drawing up the contract. I am told that it is the law to pump the septic tank before selling. They are requesting a test for the septic tank, the well, and termite inspection that I pay for, They also want a mold test and a radon test that I told them I would not pay for. What are my responsibilities?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

You are not obligated to pay for mold and radon tests.All of this is negotiable.You also need to put a limit on the amount of repairs you will pay for.The real issue with the tests is if there are problems and what you will pay for , the $$ limit for the amount of the sale.I think you did fine here to divide up the test costs.You were reasonable here.Buyers ask for the moon here, this is a fair division of the negotiable costs.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

Thanks again for the chance to help tonight.Good luck with the sale.

Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.

If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.