Michael Lykken, Esq
Michael Lykken, Esq,
Experience:  Partner at Soares & Lykken, Attorneys at Law

We bought a house that sitts on 2 lots. I thought it was one

Customer Question

We bought a house that sitts on 2 lots. I thought it was one piece right up to closing. The old owner sold the other lot that my land scope and sprinkler system go through and have for the last 20 years. What can I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Real Estate Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. I would lik to help you with this, but please understand that I can only provide you with general legal advice in this forum. Now, the first question that I need answered is which state are you in as this is not clear from the question. The second question I have is whether any realtors were involved in this transaction. And lastly, how did you find out that the parcel was actually two lots instead of one? Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We are in Michigan. Both sides had ( Me and Seller ) realtors. I found out at closing and still wanted the house.
My question is becouse the sprinklers and landscape/hard scape is attached to the house and has been sence it was built in 1996. Do I have any claim to that ground? ( Adverse possession )?

Hello, thank you for getting back to me. The idea with adverse possession is that your possession of the disputed property is adverse to that of the owner. If you could clarify a few questions I have that would be great. First, I'm a bit confused in this case as to where the property line lies. Is it right against the house? Second, do you know when the other parcel was sold? Third, have you always treated the land as your own? Last, does the other parcel owner know that the land with your sprinklers and landscaping isn't yours? Thank you!

Hello, do you still need help with this issue? If you do, answering the questions I have would help me provide you with the information you need. Thank you!