Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

Owners of nextdoor condo disruptive, abusive, stealing and

Customer Question

Owners of nextdoor condo disruptive, abusive, stealing and destroying our property. HOA seems ineffectve
Sheriff notifed many times. Problems caused by adult children and grandchildren of owner. If my tenant
Complains, she is threatened, and other neighbors are afraid to come forward.
The adult son and daughter have taken over our shared garage and appear to be living there .
It smells of urine, marijuana and is very messy My tenant walked in the garage to find the daughter having sex. Goods such as tvs, refrigerator, and other items are continually rotated in and out of
The garage. This problem has been going on for five years and is escalating.
Your advice would be very much appreciated.
Sincerely,
Sheila Zboray ***@******.***
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Good morning Sheila. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You have two avenues through which you can pursue this and you can do so on parallel paths.

First, your HOA board has a fiduciary duty to act against this next door owner. The board members serve at the pleasure of the owners and have a fiduciary duty to all owners. Part of that fiduciary duty is to property enforce the HOA rules and regulations. So, send a letter to the board members by certified mail detailing the problem and demanding they act immediately to enforce the HOA rules by forcing this condo owner to comply. In the letter let them know that the failure to do so is likely to result in increased risk of loss of value of all owners' properties. Finally, inform them in the letter that if they do not act within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file suit against the HOA and the individual board members. Let them know you will be seeking actual and punitive damages due to their either gross negligence or willful misconduct.

Two, you can go after this next door owner directly. Although they may feel as if they have the right to do whatever they please on their property, those rights are limited by the impact they may have on others. You have the right to file a private nuisance cause of action because their actions deprive your tenant of the peaceful and quiet enjoyment of your property which results in the deprivation of the habitability of your property. A private nuisance cause of action will entitle you and your tenant to both damages for the past deprivation of the full enjoyment of your property and an injunction prohibiting further interference with such enjoyment. If they then violate the injunction, they will be in contempt of court and subject to civil and/or criminal sanctions. In my experience, the mere filing of the suit itself leads to a resolution of the matter without actually having to get to the hearing. It's amazing the chilling impact being served with a summons that one is being sued does to cause them to cease and desist in their offending behavior.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!