Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Houses tied up in probate executor did not pay taxes .i am

Customer Question

Houses tied up in probate executor did not pay taxes .i am in will
can i get them placed in my name if i pay them. Also executor is renting them out and keeping rent for himself.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

You can't have the property's title placed in your name by paying the taxes unless they go delinquent for several years and you obtain a tax deed from the county.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

But, the payment of taxes alone doesn't convert to ownership. You'd have to get the executor to transfer title from the estate to you in order to take ownership.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

As for the executor renting the property, there's technically nothing wrong with that so long as the money is turned over to the estate and not kept for the executor's own use.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

If the executor is self-dealing and keeping money that belongs to the estate for himself, then any beneficiary or heir can file a petition to remove and replace the executor with someone else.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

If you need anything further, please let me know. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks.