P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.

Need to know if an hoa can force an aesthically pleasing

Customer Question

need to know if an hoa can force an aesthically pleasing hurrican resistent door on your condo after you have already paid for one that is hurricane compliant?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpI am sorry to be the one to bear bad news. The answer is that the HOA board of directors is able to make and enforce rules consistent with the bylaws (the rules that govern the HOA). They can, and will, enforce such things as rules that deal with aesthetics. This is actually quite common for HOA's (for example, they can tell you what color to paint your home, what type of roof you can have, if you can have lawn decorations, etc)Now...the HOA board can not be arbitrary...they have to treat the members of the HOA fairly. But if there is a rule that regulates what type of door is on the homes? They can enforce the rule.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.