Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

I'm a property manager in the state of nevada and was fired

Customer Question

I'm a property manager in the state of nevada and was fired by my client (owner). The owner's attorney has sent me a letter rerquesting that i transfer the security deposit in her trust account. normally that would be OK but in this instance the tenant has sent me a letter demanding that i don't release the funds (security dposit) to this attorney of the owner. I don't want to keep the security or any pro rated rents but im not sure what i should do. The attorney for the owner has told me that she would sue me if i don't turn over the money. help
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

You have to turn over the deposit whether the tenant wants you to or not. Once your employment is terminated, your legal authority ends and you don't have standing to retain the deposit. Technically you shouldn't really be holding deposits anyway as those should be transferred to the landlord to be placed in an escrow account so you don't have any liability.

It isn't up to the tenant who holds their deposit because although they still own it, the landlord legally retains it in trust until the end of the tenancy.