Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

I am a landlord with a lease agreement which expires at the

Customer Question

I am a landlord with a lease agreement which expires at the end of this month (i.e. March 31, tenants have been at my property, less than a year). I plan to give notice sometime before March 31 that I will not renew their lease and they have 30 days to move out. If the notice is given tomorrow, March 18th, then they:
1) Have 30 days or April 18th to be out of the house.
2) Are still liable for the prorated rent (i.e. April 1 - April 18)
Do you see any problems with my understanding of California Civil Code 1946?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

You are correct in your understanding of the law. Just double-check the lease to see if there are any provisions that change the standard or limit your options. If you used a standard lease form, chances are there is not, but it's always good to review the document if there is any doubt.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll be happy to continue providing assistance. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that as well, and please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the information we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1