Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

How can I stop my landlord from entering my apartment sole

Customer Question

how can I stop my landlord from entering my apartment for the sole reason of harassing and threatening me?
Have previous police reports.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If you have prior police reports indicating that the landlord is improperly entering your dwelling, you can go down to the local courthouse and file a petition for a restraining order against him. If the judge grants it, then if the landlord enters your property again, they can be held in violation and charged criminally with violation of a restraining order.

Your other option would be to sue him civilly under a breach of contract claim for violating your rights to "exclusive use and possession" and "quiet enjoyment" and ask the judge to issue a monetary damages judgment as well as an injunction against the landlord entering your apartment except in cases of emergency or request by you.