Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.

I like to break out of the seller real estate contract due

Customer Question

I like to break out of the seller real estate contract due to the dissatisfaction with the agent. There is no termination clause in the contract. I sent the notice to the agents and the broker twice. I asked them to withdraw from the listing by the end of business day yesterday. I have not gotten any response. What should I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Good morning Ho. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You can get this listing agreement terminated. What you want to do is raise the stakes on them. You should send the agent one more letter by certified mail, with a copy to the agent's broker, telling the agent that you are totally dissatisfied with their services and demand that they agree to voluntarily terminate the listing agreement effective immediately. Inform them if they do not agree, then you will have no choice but to file: i) a formal complaint with the state board of realtors; and ii) a civil suit against them for your damages, BUT inform them that you will not only be filing this suit as a breach of contract suit, but also as a deceptive trade practices act for their intentional misrepresentation of the services to be provides, which will entitle you to punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your complaint and your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, the agent will agree to a termination rather than risk punitive damages. the deceptive trade practice judgment, and the bad publicity that accompanies such a suit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!