Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

My apartment complex is forcing me to move to another

Customer Question

My apartment complex is forcing me to move to another apartment so they can renovate mine. Cannot lease new apartment with the same accomadations as before. Raise rent 260.00 per month. I cannot move back into my old apartment after renovations because they have leased to someone else.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 7 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. Do you have a signed lease or do you rent month to month?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My lease was up 3/1, thats when they told me i had to move. I havent signed the new lease yet. I have lived here for 3 years

Thank you for the additional information. Once the lease expired, you would become a month to month tenant. When that happens, the landlord only needs to provide a 15 day notice to vacate if they want to terminate the lease. In this case, if they want you to move. Once that happens, they do not have to allow you to move back in if they wanted to lease it to someone else or increase the rent. I know it is not ideal but as long as they provide the proper notice and/or the lease ends and they tell you ahead of time to vacate, there is nothing illega happening.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!