J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

Im a landlord in Ca, tenant no rent months how to kick them

Customer Question

im a landlord in Ca, tenant no rent for 2 months how to kick them out, lost contract of there rental
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry you are dealing with a non paying tenant. Unfortunately, there is no short cut for landlord even when a tenant is not paying rent and the process is time consuming and technical. A landlord must give proper 3 notice to pay rent or quit. If rent is not paid within the time frame and the tenants have not vacated (which is often and most likely the case) then an Unlawful Detainer action (eviction) must be filed with the court and a hearing in court is held which hopefully results in the judge issuing a eviction at which point the tenant must move.

Here are two helpful links with outline of the procedure along with where to obtain forms:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/evict-tenant-due-unpaid-rent-1737.html

Also: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/terminations.shtml

Free forms are available: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/terminations.shtml

Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (3 stars or more). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).