RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP
90553395

My first cousin is a notary public. She signed her mother

Customer Question

My first cousin is a notary public. She signed her mother and husband as witnesses who were not present. This was regarding a quitclaim deed that my mother and dad transferred property to other people.The people who have the property has not paid my parents for anything.... long story. I am hoping the deed is not valid. Would this deed be not valid because who signed. She didn't tell my elderly parents that she did this.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Could you tell me what county the property was located in?

Could you possibly scan and upload the deed? Note this is visible to others so you might mark out the names.

My research indicates that North Carolina does not require a witness on a conveyance of real property (deed) In South Carolina you are required to have two witnesses plus the notary, but in North Carolina there is no such requirement.

The troubling part for me is sometimes I have to tell people an answer they don’t want to hear and I hope that you will not shoot the messenger by giving me negative feedback as I work hard to provide you a legally accurate answer. Negative feedback is reserved for those experts that provide incorrect answers or are rude to customers. Please rate me based on the legal accuracy of my answer and my professionalism in dealing with you. I feel I have a professional obligation to provide you the most accurate answer I can even if it is not what you want to hear so that you understand your rights and can act on those rights.

There is a possibility to invalidate it, it appears if the tax office did not certify that all property taxes had been paid. If you could upload a copy of the deed it would help me better answer question.

Regards,

I am about to log off for the night, but I wanted you to know that I will be back online about 1:00 PM CST. You are welcome to reply here tonight or tomorrow morning and I will respond once I get online.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sure I can upload the deed. I just got back online and saw that you have responded.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will upload the deed shortly.

I will review and provide more information after you upload the deed. Thanks in advance for leaving positive feedback as that is the only way I receive credit for the time I spend answering your question.