How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1960
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend is serving 60 days in county jail. s roomate won't

Customer Question

My friend is serving 60 days in county jail. His roomate won't accept March rent and wants him to move out right away. At this time he is jail until May 2, 2016 and can not tend to his affairs (finding new place, moving possesions from current apartmet, etc). how can he protect against a roomate that may put all his possesions on the curb. This is in Palm Beach County Florida.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 11 months ago.

If he has an attorney he can send a letter (or do it himself) advising the roommate that if he removes or touches his property he will file criminal and civil charges. He can direct him to put his belongings in a certain storage unit or give them to a friend or relative. This needs to be in writing because if the roommate fails to comply then after he is released he has a stronger case to pursue against him in court.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you familiar with Chapter 83 of Florida statutes? Are you licensed in Florida?
Obviously, my friend does not have an attorney or I would be on this website looking for advise on his behalf.
If your comments are not going to be specific to Florida and Chapter 83 and are merely that he "write a letter", I am not going to pay for this service as it is of no value. Unless you have something specific and concrete relative to this situation, let me know how I can get a refund for the fees that were billed to my credi card.