CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.

I paid my landlord 3 months storage fees I never obtained.

Customer Question

I paid my landlord 3 months storage fees for which I never obtained. She never moved her stuff out of the house, garage or garden house. I also had to call the city to call her to fix the furnace... She is now selling the house and I stopped payment on my last rent. She has a security deposit of $1050 and $210 that I paid for storage I did not get. I will still loose $490. Where do I stand? Can she lock the doors?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: She's been difficult for the entire rental time. The day I was supposed to move in, she had not even moved out yet... so my son and I helped her mother move her out. all stuff in the garage. then she never cleared the garage, garden house, etc. there was no oil, the furance was not working... 3 days of no hot water.... pellet stove was not working had to get that fixed.... then i could not contact her for months... she would not answer my calls... said she had no phone. She put the house up for sale, gave me 30 day notice when she got an offer.... i dont trust her to give me any of my deposit back... she still owes me 3 months storage. So i put a stop payment on my last check. She still will make out $490.
JA: Our top Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.

Dear Customer,

The landlord can give you a "3 day notice to pay or quit" (in most states, if you provide me the state where the residence is located I can provide you with the precise number of days notice you will receive).

If you do not pay within the time period, she can file an "unlawful detainer" or "forcible entry and detainer" action (sometimes called an "eviction" action) against you. While it is unlikely that this would actually result in a forcible eviction before you actually planned to move out, you may want to weigh whether or not you want to have this action filed against you (it is a public filing, and it can make it hard to rent other residential properties in the future, regardless of the outcome)).