Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My Daughter is buying a home and I will cosign. Daughter has

Customer Question

My Daughter is buying a home and I will cosign. Daughter has a boyfriend who lives with her now. When she moves into her own home, does she have the right to kick out the boyfriend and his daughter after he moves in with his daughter if arrangement does not work?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

does she have the right to kick out the boyfriend and his daughter after he moves in with his daughter if arrangement does not work?

.

Yes, but she has to do so legally. She would legally be the landlord and they would be her tenants so she would have to give them a written 60 day notice to terminate their tenancy under GA law and then evict them through the courts if they didn't move out during the 60 days. That takes an additional 3-4 weeks depending on the courts and sheriff's schedules.

.

This is assuming that she doesn't add the boyfriend to the deed, which would be a huge mistake..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

thanks