Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

We believe my sons landlords son has used a key to access s

Customer Question

We believe my sons landlords son has used a key to access his room and removed property. Of course we can prove it but it is things a teenage boy would want, game boy controllers, dumbells, etc. What recourse do we have?
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, just looking for info..........i typo'd, we "cant" prove it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: We believe this has happened over time, we are in the process of moving out and now cant find these items, we will still be in the room for about 2 more weeks.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is there any evidence at all?

.

Has son filed a criminal police report?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no on both answers......we just suspect as no one else in the house besides the landlords son would be interested in those items. The landlords son is 13/14, my son is 27, all other residents are middle aged.

Ok, I hate to say it, but it is not what you feel, but what you can prove in a situation like this. And without any evidence that the son is responsible, there is not much legally that you can do. Speculating that someone may have committed a crime is nowhere near the "beyond a reasonable doubt" needed for a conviction or to get a local DA interested.

.

About the only thing son could do is set up a hidden camera, motion activated, and then see if he could catch the other person entering his dwelling and then he would have much better grounds to prosecute son or threaten to do so unless he was reimbursed for the stolen items.

.

.

thanks