P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

How can I, the seller get out of a purchase agreement on a

Customer Question

How can I, the seller get out of a purchase agreement on a bare ground piece of property
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you, as the seller, can unilaterally cancel the contract?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you

I am sorry to bear bad news. If you signed the contract, the buyer can (assuming they meet their obligations under the contract) force you to comply with your obligations (so they can sue you to force sale)

While it is true in some real estate contracts the buyer can cancel the contract unilaterally, during their due diligence or inspection period, the same is not true for the seller.

In other words, you can not unilaterally cancel the contract

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can unilaterally cancel the contract, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.