Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

What are the Florida laws on ministorage rentals. Being late

Customer Question

What are the Florida laws on ministorage rentals. Being late and them disposing of your property.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the rental fee is late/delinquent, then the landlord has the right to seize the property and sell the items in order to pay the storage fees. However, the storage owner must provide the renter at least 14 days notice. Here's a good link that you can read about this process: http://www.storagetreasures.com/general-information/state-lien-laws/florida

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

If you need anything further, please let me know. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Roger. I could of received this info off the internet. Man they are disposing my girlfriends storage when we are 2 months and a week late. She has photos of her deceased daughter. Plus furniture worth thousands. They have opened her stOrae already and viewed inside.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I need real help you just wasted
55 dollars.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - I'm sorry about the circumstances that surround this issue. Obviously, I didn't know these other issues were present with your situation.

I understood your question to be what the laws were, and I provided the same.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

That said, the law doesn't provide exceptions, but a judge just may. If the storage owner follows the proper notice laws, the only thing you could do is file for a restraining order to stop the sale and give your reasons for failing to pay on time.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

The judge certainly give you a break based on the circumstances and provide you with some time to get the storage fees up to date.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks!